The Archaeological Museum, located alongside the harbor, was built circa 1900, mainly to house finds from the excavation of the “Pit of Purification” (dating from the 5th century B.C.) and the necropolis of Rhenia. There is a large collection of vessels especially represented of Cycladic ceramics dating from the Geometric period until the 6th cent. B.C. Also on exhibit are wonderful black figure and red figure pottery and diverse finds, including Hellenistic period gravestones and other sculpture. Among the finds from Mykonos, especially impressive is the “Pithos of Mykonos”: a large jar, (made in a workshop on Tinos the 7th cent. B.C.) Richly decorated with bas – relief zones of bas-relief depicting various scenes from the Trojan War (the central composition shows Achaian warriors with the Trojan Horse). Also very impressive is the statue of the mythic Greek hero Hercules, made of Parian marble.
Open 8:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m, daily except Monday and major public holidays.
(tel.: +30 22890 – 22 325)
|MYKONOS FOLKLORE MUSEUM|
The Folklore Museum is the located in an old 18th.century, two-story, captain’s house in the Kastro of Mykonos town, a few meters distant from the proud Paraportiani church.
There are six main exhibition halls which house an eclectic collection of antique furniture, Byzantine icons, folkloric ceramics, historical commemorative plates, decorative prints, gravures & old photograps, embroidered and hard-woven fabrics & costumes, locks and keys, weights and measures, and other historical artifacts. There are also import archives of manuscripts and printed matter, photographs, maps and a significant library. Open from April to October 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. daily except Sundays. (tel.: +30 22890 – 22 591)
|AGRICULTURAL MUSEUM: the BONI WINDMILL and LENA'S HOUSE are divisions of the Mykonos Folklore Museum|
The first, located on the edge of the town at Ano Mili, is the Boni Windmill, an open-air setting museum, which is in full working order and presents the traditional Mykonian agricultural installation used for the production and processing of farm products, plus the threshing floor, the well, the oven, wine-press, etc. It may be visited from June to September daily, 4:00-8:00 p.m. (tel.: +30 22890 – 26 246)
The second building " Lena's House", near the Three Wells, is a charmingly preserved, authentic 19th century Mykonian middle-class dwelling, containing a drawing room, 2 bedrooms, and 2 courtyards. Of particular interest are the rich furnishings such as tapestries, wood carvings, old mirrors, painted plates, prints frames and house utensils. The house allows you to imagine how different life was on the island 100 years ago.
Open evenings, except Sundays, from April to October, 6:30p.m. to 9:30p.m. (tel.: +30 22890 – 22 390)
|AEGEAN MARITIME MUSEUM|
Located by the Three Wells, next door to Lena’s House, this museum displays scale models of various rowing boats, sailing vessels and steam-powered ships which from Prehistoric times until the present, that have traversed the Aegean Sea.
Also there is a rich collection of maps, paintings, prints, coins and engravings, plus a collection of reproductions of ancient gravestones, carved with sea-themes. In the well garden is the well preserved tower with the lens mechanism of the Armenisti Lighthouse (1889). The “EVANGELISTRIA”, a traditional sailing vessel belonging to the museum, is moored every summer in the old harbor where it may be boarded by interested visitors. Open, April to October, daily, 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and evenings from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.. (tel.: +30 22890 – 22 700)
|The Monastery of the Virgin Mary of Tourliani|
Founded in 1542, this monastery was built in the place where there originally was an old church of The Virgin. From 1757 to 1767, consecrated/ dedicated to the church of The Presentation of the Virgin, it was renovated by the holy monk lgnatio Basoula and achieved its present day from The marvelous, carved- wood “baroque” rood screen in the three-chambered church, the bishops throne and the ambonas…(late 18th century) are said to have been made in Florence; the beautiful icons on the rood screen are attributed to the icon painter Ioannis “of Korfu”.
The architecture of the complex, by the simplicity of its grandeur, impresses the visitor who will carefully observe the marble belfry and the water spigot in the courtyard which are elaborately decorated with carvings, typical examples of traditional marble sculpture.
The monastery’s collection include many old tools and utensils, important religious relics, priests’ robes furnishings (old carved wood epitaph, analogia/podium etc), post-Byzantine icons, and various other offerings.
The main settlement of present day Ano Mera has extended (from its’ center) in the area surrounding this monastery which formerly was very significant to the island.
|The Monastery of Paleokastro and its Environs|
Located to the north of Ano Mera, this 18th century nunnery is a typical example of the monastic architecture of the Cyclades. It takes its name from “Paleokastro”, the neighboring hill, crowned with a medieval castle (early Byzantine, occupied until the time of Gizi), which has its foundations on the remains of an ancient fortress.
This area is known as one of the two major settlements of the island in ancient time. One can see here, among other things, the old church of Agios Vlassis with its neighboring large dovecote and a prehistoric grave-marker consisting of a single 3-meter-high granite slab