- Mykonos accommodations
- Accommodation in Greece
- Unique Santorini
- Popular Cyclades
- Rest of Cyclades
- Northeastern Aegean Islands
(Lesbos, Samos, Ikaria, Chios)
- Northern Sporades & Euboea
(Skiathos, Skopelos, Evia)
- Saronic Islands
(Hydra and Spetses)
- Top Hotels in rest of Greece
- Tours to Archaeological sites
(Delphi, Olympia, Mycenae)
- Aegean Islands Bookings
- Gay Friendly Greece
- Gay Lesbos
- Gay Tours
- Travel Services & Info
- About Us: M.A.C.
Activities & things to-do: shopping, visiting some interesting land marks (see further below)
and the archaeological, folklore or maritime museum,
plenty of restaurants or tavernas are spread all over town,
people watching along the waterfront with its many coffee shops...and picture the one or two pelicans
not to forget enjoying a hectic night life in it's many charming bars...
Self catering complexes: Andromeda Residence, Town Suites gay-friendly...+
NEW Riva Suites,
+ just at town limits but a bit higher up, so with garden, views and pool: hotels Belvedere, Semeli, Poseidon, Harmony, Leto,
+ all around town, walking distance on hillside most of them of views to the Aegean sea and overlooking Mykonos Town roofs in:
Despotica: hotels Iliomaris and Despotico, the NEW boutique hotel Boheme, the renovated
School of Fine Arts Area: hotels Anastasios Sevasti, Pelican, Zannis, and gay Elysium,
+ Apostolos Apartments.
Myconian Naia Suites,
Kyma Hotel and Korali hotel
And at nearby Megali Ammos beach: Bill & Coo suites,
Petinaros Beach Studios,
Akrotiraki Guesthouse pension.
Self-catering residences, apartments right in Town: Andromeda residence, Town Suites, Matoyianni studios, Nikos apartments,
Mykonos town Pad,
Anastasia apartments, Villa Downtown NEW,
Peters' House NEW.
or Villas: right on the coast: Villa Belvedere by same hotel,
villa Themistocles, nearby Villa Magic Garden, + a few more found in 207/2018: Villas Theocritus,
villa Philo, villa Appian.
Restaurants, taverns & reputed coffee-shops: too many to mention here: click our webpage
Transport: there are 3 bus stations / departure points: the one in Fabrica (in the southern section of the town) serves Ornos, Aghios Ioannis, Platys Gialos, Psarou, Paranga and Paradise;
the other, at the Museum, in the northern part of the town, serves Ano Mera village, and the beaches of Elia and Kalafatis;
the third one, at the harbour, serves Tourlos + NEW harbour, and Aghios Stefanos,
Normal fares range from 1 to 1.40 EURO depending on destination and hour of the day (nocturnal fare 1.30 EURO)
Taxi Station : Tel. 2289023700 - or 2289022400 works also as radio taxi.
The taxi stand is on Mando's Sq. but you may find them also at Fabrica (the bus station)
Rates are fixed ; you should also know that telephoning for a taxi costs 1.50 EURO extra, and an appointment costs 5 EURO in addition to the fare.
Sightseeing: landmarks and historical buildings:
" Little Venice "
Little Venice is the colorful neighborhood between the Castro and Scarpa, with the wooden balconies “hanging” above the sea.
One can enjoy here one of the most beautiful sunsets of Greece.
The Town Hall
The Town Hall, built about 1780, is an early neoclassical two-story building with a tile roof, which was constructed after the 1760-1774 conflict between Russia and the Ottoman Empire,
in order to house the Russian Consul General of the Archipelago. A few years later it came under the jurisdiction of the “Koinotita” (the local self-governing body of the island of the Greek revolution) and, since then, the office of the Municipality of Mykonos has been located there.
“The Windmills” are found south of Chora, in between the picturesque Alefkandra and Neochori, and overlook the old houses and mansions
of the "littel venice" district. They impress visitors with their all-white overwhelming massive shapes, in a row facing the sea. Today, seven in number have been preserved, out of the ten mills which until beginning of the 20th century, ground the local wheat using the unfailing power of the wind. The windmills of Mykonos, in cooperation with its many bakeries, contributed to the economic travel of the island, as it became a necessary stop, from the provisioning of paximadi (ship’s biscuit), for ships playing the Aegean. The “Bakery of Yiora”, in Neochori, with its wood-burning over, is a working example of the bakeries of past time.
The Public Library
Besides its’ approximately 10000 volumes (the majority of which belong to the historical library donated by Alex. Meletopoulos), the library houses a large collection of photographs various 18th and 19th cent. Documents, gravures, etc. It is located in the square beside the church of Agia Kyriaki, on the ground floor of a marvelous 18th century mansion.
The Three Wells
In the center of the present-day town, in the area known as “Tria Pigadia”, are the tree wells which were the main water supply for Mykonos Chora form the middle of the 18th cent. until 1956
In the Kastro, which is the original nucleus of the present-day town of Mykonos (on its northwestern edge), stands the Paraportiani, is a sloping whitewashed conglomeration of 5 chapels, mixing Byzantine and vernacular architecture, highly impressive for the plasticity of it's shape. In this location, during the Middle Ages, there was a tall, fortified tower, side by side and above one of the entrances to the Kastro.
It's position on a promontory is close to the sea and superb especially at sunset.
Post-Byzantina Era Churches
The cathedral, Zoodoxos Pigi(Mitropoli), and Panachra, Agia Kyriaki, Agioa Nikolaos of the Harbor and Agia Eleni are a few of the many noteworthy post-Byzantine era churches found in the Chora, with characteristic architecture, beautiful icons and elaborately worked rood screens (there are more than 70 churches in the town, the majority of which have been declared historical monuments by the Ministry of Culture). The large number of chapels and churches on the island is the result of both a plethora of votive offerings and the Mykonian custom of enshring the bones of their dead in the walls of family shrines.
The 17th century church of Panagia “Lozaria” in Alefkandra square (bearing the crest of the Bourbons as a sign of the protection offered to Catholic church in Mykonos and regular worship services are held there